Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Found in Carthage: A lonely SD card, full of photos

Last Friday, en route home from a vacation in Branson, my family stopped at the delightful Precious Moments chapel in Carthage, Missouri. As we were walking in, my son Matthew pointed out a misplaced SD card sitting on the sidewalk leading up to the building.

An SD card, for the unaware, is a simple memory card used by most contemporary digital cameras. We can only assume its owner dropped it, or perhaps it slipped out of a camera, or...who knows.

My son plopped the card in his camera, which was unable to read its contents. Neither was my little video camera. Not until we were home were we able to put it into a laptop and read it - and find literally dozens of pictures of someone's vacation; a trip through Disney, possibly Disneyland in Anaheim; a visit to a nature camp, and a new puppy. But not one of those pictures gave us any practical clue about the rightful owner of the card. We tried looking for geotag information in the photo's EXIF data, to no avail. I was able to determine the type of camera used to take the pictures, but that's all. I can only imagine how heartsick I would be were I to lose the photos of my own vacation.

So, out of ideas, I'm posting here in the unlikely event someone who has lost some vacation photos might, in a one in a million longshot, happen across this blog and let me know. I'd be happy to get them back to you! I'm using the camera type as my lynchpin to identify the proper owner.

No comments: